Klonopin 1mg x 3 daily, Ambien 10mg & breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klonopin 1mg x 3 daily, Ambien 10mg & breastfeeding

I have severe anxiety (GAD), took a lower dose klonopin during my pregnancy ranging from 0mg some days, to my normal pre pregnancy dose 3mg over the course of the day; I basically fluctuated on an as needed basis depending on the severity of my attacks. The last two weeks I tapered down to about .25mg or 0mg to help prevent withdrawals in my baby, which he did not appear to have. Now that he's born, he went a week med free, second week I gradually increased to .5mg x 3 per day, and am needing to increase that back to 1mg x 3 per day ASAP. He nurses on demand, he's two weeks old and so far I've noticed no change, no extra sleepiness, he's a cluster feeder and has several hours over the day of awake time. I also need to get back on Ambien 10mg at night as this helps with my anxiety and sleep. Is it safe to gradually increase klonopin to 3mg over the day and add Ambien 10mg as needed?. My Psychiatrist says do it gradually, especially Ambien and that one as needed. I know your university has done extensive study so I'm just double checking. I'd also like to know long term effects this may have on my son. Thanks for your help.

likeanangel521,

Ambien is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. It is not recommended in newborns. If you need to take this medication on occasion I would suggest supplementing during the night with (unmedicated) stored breast milk or formula, and you could resume breastfeeding in the morning. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate and apnea, poor feedings and poor weight gain.

Klonopin is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.8% of your dose. This medication has a long half-life of 18-50 hours. If your infant is tolerating the .5mg 3 x's a day and not symptomatic I think you could slowly increase to 1mg 3 x's a day as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor for sedation, slowed breathing rate, apnea, not waking to feed/poor feeding and poor weight gain. I would suggest not to exceed the 1mg 3x's a day.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Are there long term effects on development with me taking klonopin?

Comment

likeanangel521,

We do not have any data concerning long term effects of Klonopin. I could not find anything in the Pubmed articles either. The main concern with Klonopin is usually more of an acute response such as slowed breathing rate and apnea. Trying to keep your dose low is the key, when you take the higher doses we do worry about apnea with possible SIDS. This medication has a long half-life of 18-50 hours. It is important that if your infant starts having any symptoms especially any respiratory issues that you either start supplementing some with formula (say half and half) or lower your dose of the medication and consult your pediatrician.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
        InfantRisk Center
        806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
        X