Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfed Preemie while on Enbrel

Dr Hale,
    I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you so much for your work. It was your old posts that helped me decide to breastfeed my 28 week preemie who also caught Pertussis in the hospital even though I had to be on Enbrel for my RA. The hospital was so concerned that she would aspirate that they took her off Breast milk constantly, just when she needed it the most, when she got sick but they didn't know what was wrong until 6 weeks later. I finally fought for establishing breast feeding 4 months after she was born just before discharge and although difficult it was worth the challenge, even on Enbrel. I was off it during pregnancy and 6 weeks postpartum but then my RA flared so bad I could hardly walk so I had to go back on just before I was free to begin breastfeeding. It was a heart-wrenching decision, not wanting to put her at any more risk after all she had been through as well as my own suffering while I tried to hold out not wanting to give up breastfeeding but I WITHOUT A DOUBT MADE THE RIGHT DECISION TO BREASTFEED WHILE ON ENBREL! Her recovery was dramatic, her immune response strong, her growth soared and her digestive problems settled the longer she was on breast milk, even while on Enbrel, the Docs were shocked. It is a shame so many women are being strongly discouraged if not out right told they can't breastfeed if they tend to themselves and get on Enbrel. I wish more people were directed to your work. I hope that encourages you and helps other mothers out there who are wrestling with this struggle.

Inwardsojourner:

Thanks for your note. Its always great to hear about a GREAT outcome.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X