Breastfeeding on Sulfasalazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding on Sulfasalazine

I was wondering if anyone has breastfed while on Sulfasalazine. I currently take 2000mg daily. I have looked up information and it appears to be safe but the results aren't conclusive. My husband and I are expecting and while I strongly desire to breastfeed, we want to make the most informed decision regarding this matter for the health and safety of our new daughter. Thank you in advance for your help!

Dear A. Smith,

Sulfasalazine is used as an anti-inflammatory for treatment of ulcerative colitis. The amount of the drug expected to enter breastmilk (relative infant dose) is 0.3 to 1.1 percent of your dose. Usually, drugs that have a relative infant dose of less than ten percent are compatible with breastfeeding. Sulfasalazine is not absorbed orally very well, only one-third of the dose is absorbed by the mother so little is found in breastmilk. Studies have found that sulfasalazine has had few, if any, adverse effects in nursing infants. You should observe your infant for watery stools or diarrhea. Hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X