RA and had nursed 2 children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RA and had nursed 2 children

I was wondering if anyone else out their has nursed children w/RA on their medications? I have nursed on Prednisone 5- 10 mg.

Yes, I have. I'm also on prednisone (4mg) and am still nursing my 2nd child.

Comment

Yes I am currently breastfeeding my 4 1/2 month old son while I'm on Prednisone. I started out taking 10mg and now I'm on my way down. I will most likely be starting Cimzia in the new year and have been trying to get information about it and whether or not I can continue to breastfeed while on it. Some emerging studies suggest that it should be ok...and some doctors are now saying it would be ok as well. I would love to continue to breastfeed. We've really had no problems with it. I've tried giving him a bit of formula in case I have to stop, but he hates it Wish there was more information/studies done on meds for breastfeeding.

Comment

Dear berriboo,

Prednisone in low doses and for short periods of time is compatible with breastfeeding. High doses for long periods have the potential to decrease infant growth. You are on a low dose, and since you are tapering, it appears you will only be on the drug for a short amount of time. There are no human breastmilk studies available for Cimzia (certolizumab pegol). Animal studies show minimal transfer into milk, and no antibodies were detected in the nursing pups. The molecular weight is very large; and therefore, not likely to transfer into human milk. Until we have actual data, we can not say for sure how much, if any, Cimzia enters breastmilk but due to its kinetic profile it appears to be compatible with breastfeeding. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
        Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
        TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
        Last edited by cpride; 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Humira & Prednisone

I am still bfing an 11 month old. I've taken prednisone from 40 mg to 5 mg (currently weaning off; 40 mg was only for about a week) since she was about 2 months old. I started taking 40mg Humira every other week at 5 months of age then bumped up to 40mg every week at about 8 months of age. Am still taking Humira 40 mg every week & 5 mg of prednisone. My daughter has had no adverse effects thus far and is progressing normally in all aspects.

Comment

Hi, i have taken predninsolone for almost 5 yrs for my SLE. Recently my bone intensity indicates oestroporisis and i have to take alendronate. Pls anyone know or have taken this medication while breastfeeding. I really love to breastfeed.

Comment

Dear Ryn,

At present, there are no data on the transfer of alendronate into human milk. Dr. Hale states that the kinetics suggest that milk levels will be exceedingly low. However, although low, the risk of altering bone growth and remodeling in infants is possible if exposed to this product. Long-term exposure to this medication poses an unknown risk to a breastfeeding infant. Some caution is recommended. You may want to talk with your physician about alternative treatments during the time you are breastfeeding. Let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,
              Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
              TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hello,

I was diagnosed with RA when my oldest was 1 year old and breastfeeding. She is now 12. If not for the information provided by Dr. Hale, I couldn't have continued nursing her while on medication. Not to mention my 3 other children. I have been pregnant, nursed one baby or two while on Enbrel, Remicade and Humira (one at a time, obviously). My youngest is currently 15 months, and he is still breastfeeding. Apparently, I build up a tolerance to these meds over time, which is why I've tried so many. Humira is only working for 4-5 days now. My rheumatologist is suggesting Simponi (golimumab) now. Is this similar to the other medications? Will it be ok to continue nursing him while on this one? I can't find any information on it. Does anyone have experience with this medication?

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Dear Marsha331,

Golimumab is an anti TNF antibody and acts similarly to other TNF inhibitors such as infliximab (Remicade). There are no studies available on the transfer of the drug into human milk. Levels in animal milk were 400 fold less than blood levels. This suggests levels in human milk will be similarly low. Due to its size and structure, levels in milk will be low. Oral bioavailability will be low as well so the infant should only be able to absorb little if any of the drug. Since your child did well on Remicade, we would expect similar results with this medication. Note: this product is commonly used with methotrexate, which can be hazardous to a breastfeeding infant. If you would be on methotrexate also, call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 CDT. Methotrexate may be compatible with breastfeeding in your case. It depends on the dose so please call for specific information.

Sincerely,
                  Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
                  TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Pls anyone know or have taken this medication while breastfeeding. I really love to breastfeed.

Comment

Marsha331, you were on Humira and breastfed your child? Did you continue to take Humira while breastfeeding? No side effects for your baby?

Thanks for the info inquiring mama to be on Humira and seeking advice!
                      Alissa

Comment

Working...
                      X