Wellbutrin and low milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellbutrin and low milk

I have a mother who is 5 days postpartum that is not lactating at this time despite regular nursing and pumping with a Medela Symphony breastpump every 2-3 hours. She lactated successfully with her first child for 4 months, then had to stop due to a manic episode and was put on medications that they did not feel were safe at the time for her breastfed baby. She is currently taking Wellbutrin. The Psychiatrist had her on 300mg, and now has changed it to 150mg. She is also taking Abilify and Anafranil. I know in your book it says Wellbutrin can impact milk supply, I just want to know what your thoughts are on this mother. Thank you.

Hi,

I discussed your question with Dr. Hale. We don’t know for absolute certain, but Wellbutrin could be the possible cause. Dr. Hale suggested that mom have her prolactin level checked. To do this, mom should pump or breastfeed (she will then get a surge of prolactin). In about 2 to 3 hours later, she should have her blood drawn to find out her prolactin levels. From those results you can tell if the level of prolactin could be the problem.

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss this more in depth, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, CST.

Colleen Peace, RN, MSN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X