breastfeeding on avonex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breastfeeding on avonex

Ill make this quick as my baby is waking up from her nap! I have stable relapse remitting Ms. I've been on avonex seven years prior to this uneventful pregnancy. We've been exclusively bfing for 3 1/2 months and I want to get back on meds while still breastfeeding. Neuro says stop bfing first. I wanted to bf for at least a year. Who has breastfed on an ABC Med? Was your neuro or ped on board?
    Last edited by hardworkingninja; 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling

My neuro was on board with either bd on avonex or copaxone. If you look at dr hale research on those drugs, the molecules are too big to pass to the breastmilk. Id have your neuro do some research on dr hales website.

Comment

So just an update. I resumed avonex when my baby was about four months old and have continued breastfeeding. My neuro is not super excited about it but my pediatrician says it is okay after reviewing the reccommendations from Dr. Hale. My baby is doing great so far and I'm happy to be back on my meds. I usually just pump right before my injection after baby is in bed for the night and then breastfeed like normal when she wakes up in the morning. I want to encourage other breastfeeding mothers to consider nursing while on Avonex. I'm so happy I didn't just stop breastfeeding right away but looked into the research.

Comment

Working...
      X