Breast feeding and MRI with contrast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breast feeding and MRI with contrast

I need to schedule an MRI with contrast, using gadolinium. Do I need to pump and dump? If so, how long? Thank you

Hi, thanks for your post.

Gadolinium-based contrast media are specifically designed to stay in the body water and not to penetrate compartments like the brain or breastmilk. Discarding milk for two hours after the procedure should be enough to reduce the levels in your milk down to almost nothing. What little makes it to the baby will likely not be absorbed by him anyway. These recommendations are in line with the current guidelines from the American College of Radiology.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD
    and
    -Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D.

Comment

Breast feeding and MRI with contrast

I was planning to ask the same question so hopefully I can just add on to this post. I am having a similar procedure (MRI with galadium) and am nursing a 22 month old. My plan was simply to wait until 8 hours after the procedure prior to nurse. I also plan to take 0.75 mg of Ativan to help with procedural anxiety hence the longer wait time. My question, do I need to pump and discard or can I simply wait the 8 hrs and then breastfeed?

Thank you kindly.

Comment

We still recommend the pump-and-dump at 2 hours to get rid of any trace gadolinium. The Ativan does have a long half-life but only a very small portion actually makes it into the breastmilk. Accounting for the milk discard at 2 hours and the age of your child, I estimate your little one will be exposed to less than 0.005mg (=5mcg) of Ativan if he/she breastfeeds freely after the 2 hour wait. Ativan is prescribed to infants at doses of 0.05 (=50mcg) per kilogram for anxiety or sedative purposes.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
        X