Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Breastfeeding protocol during Lyme disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding protocol during Lyme disease

Hello! I am posting for a mom that I am helping. I have been trying to call the InfantRisk and it just rings and rings.

The mother I am helping was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease. She and the doctor believe she probably has had it for 3-4 years. She has a two year old and is currently breastfeeding a 6 month old. She has started an antibiotic and is taking it in the evening and bottle feeding for a few hours afterwards.

What is your recommendation for treatment and continued breastfeeding? I am not sure if she has discussed beginning other medications in addition to the antibiotic with her doctor as I understand there are several recommended for Lyme disease. Is it possible to do so while breastfeeding? Does she need to continue bottle feeding after taking the antibiotic at night? I believe the one she is taking is azithromycin 500 mg. since she is on an antibiotic, is there a chance her baby can contract Lyme disease through breastfeeding if the baby doesn't already have it? I believe her two children have been tested and they are awaiting the results. Thank you!
Working...
X