Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Type 1 Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and Type 1 Diabetes

I have both PCOS and Type 1 Diabetes. A lower carbohydrate diet is essential for me to keep my blood sugars in an appropriate range. I'm unfortunately having milk supply issues while nursing my 3 month old and have wondered if this is because I began to eat a lower carb diet? I am still maintaining a good amount of calories, but have dropped the carbs.

I have ordered the herb, Shatavari, and I'm hoping I see results but I'd like to know about how carbs may or may not effect one's milk supply.

Dear Jsketch,

As long as you are taking in adequate calories, the low carbohydrate diet shouldn't impact your milk supply. There have been studies that show that taking in less than 1500 calories daily decreased milk supply by fifteen percent. If you haven't met with a dietician, that may be helpful to make sure you are getting adequate nutrition for breastfeeding and treating your diabetes adequately. You need about 500 more calories during breastfeeding than you did while you were pregnant. Also, your local lactation consultant may be a good resource in determining the cause of your low milk supply.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Originally posted by Jsketch View Post
      I have both PCOS and Type 1 Diabetes. A lower carbohydrate diet is essential for me to keep my blood sugars in an appropriate range. I'm unfortunately having milk supply issues while nursing my 3 month old and have wondered if this is because I began to eat a lower carb diet? I am still maintaining a good amount of calories, but have dropped the carbs.

I have ordered the herb, Shatavari, and I'm hoping I see results but I'd like to know about how carbs may or may not effect one's milk supply.
      I understand you are suffering from PCOS. As per your question I can advice you to decrease in milk supply may be due to several factors: Dehydration. ... With a low carb diet, many people are not nearly as hungry — so even if you are eating to hunger, you may not be taking in enough calories to sustain a good milk supply (recommended 1800+ calories per day for the average nursing mother).

Comment

Working...
      X