Celexa and breastfeeding toddler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celexa and breastfeeding toddler?

I just started taking Celexa for depression. My son is 27 months old and breastfeeds, mostly in the evening and during the night, because I work during the day. I am so scared that this medicine will hurt him. I have been taking 10mg for 3 days, and right away his nighttime sleep is disrupted. He wakes up in the middle of the night (which is normal for him) but doesn't go back to sleep for some time (which is very abnormal for him). I am experiencing the same thing. My question is if this is a side effect that will wear off in a couple of weeks, or if it will remain as long as I am taking the drug? I am considering discontinuing the med because I dont want to wean, and don't think that taking it is worth the risk of hurting him. I am supposed to increase my dose to 20mg the day after tomorrow. I also have questions about whether this drug could cause metabolic changes in my son, as it can in the patient. Thank you so much for any response you can offer.

Hi,

It was good to talk to you today! If you have any further questions about the Celexa, or any other medication, please feel free to call us at 806-352-2519. Our hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, CST.

Have a good weekend!

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X