This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbalta and Breastfeeding

I am currently 35 weeks pregnant and very much want to breastfeed when our daughter comes. I have been on 30mg of Cymbalta for the past couple of years and went off during the first trimester of my pregnancy. I was not doing doing well and have been back on the 30mg since my 2nd trimester and I am feeling great. I know Cymbalta is a new drug and was wondering if there is any advice/information about the levels and effects it can have on the baby and if it is safe to use while breastfeeding?

Hi,

There have not been any reports of major birth defects associated with taking a SNRI. The infant may experience some jitteriness or irritability and may experience discontinuation syndrome, (symptoms such as low muscle tone, weak cry and feeding difficulties) after the birth. These conditions are not generally long lasting.

The studies that have been done on breastfeeding while taking Cymbalta suggests that the milk/plasma ratiio is low (0.26%), and the Relative Infant Dose (0.14%), is low as well. These amounts are probably too low to have clinical effects on an infant. We believe this medication is probably compatible with breastfeeding.

Please remember the risk of untreated depression is far higher than the risks of the medication.

If you have any further questions, or would like to discuss this in more detail, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm CST.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    InfantRisk Center, TTUHSC

Comment

Working...
    X