Breastfeeding with Lexapro / Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding with Lexapro / Gas

I've been using Lexapro for several months now. It has really helped with my mood. However, I have been extremely bloated and gassy since I've started taking it. I've been dealing with it, but now it seems to be having the same effect on my 6 month old daughter who is exclusively breastfed (no solids or formula). Since starting these meds, she only has one bowel movement a week and has excessive amounts of gas.

I'm concerned that this is being cause by the meds and also concerned that if enough is getting through the milk to have this reaction, what other possible reactions it could it cause to her?

I know that, in general, this medicine is ok to use while breastfeeding, but I just wonder if there could be other possible negative effects to her while I am on this medicine.

Thank you!

Jlneireiter:

I'd suggest you go see the pediatrician. This does sound like a possible UNUSUAL complication of Lexapro. But it could also be because of an excessive milk volume, which can lead to a brief lactose-intolerance in the infant, bloating, gas.

I'd suggest you talk with your pediatrician.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X