Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipentium and breastfeeding

Hi,

I have a five week old infant and had stopped taking my ulcerative colitis medication once he was born as they would not prescribe it to me in the hospital. I was doing ok but am now noticing that I am starting to flare. Would it be ok to start the dipentium again? My dose is 500 mg bid. The lactation consultant at the hospital and pediatrician said it was ok to take just monitior the baby for side effects but I am still concerned as my pcp was against it and advised me to stop breastfeeding. Thanks for your help.
    [URL="http://www.theblackfridaycoupons.com/"]www.theblackfridaycoupons.com[/URL]

Guptachetan121993,

Dipentum (olsalazine) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. Only 0.51% of your dose transfers into breast milk. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]Olsalazine is a salicylate used in ulcerative colitis. Transfer of olsalazine into human milk is minimal since it is highly protein bound, has a short half-life, and has a very low oral absorption rate. Breastfeeding while taking olsalazine poses little risk to the infant. Some diarrhea and cramping may occur in the breastfed infant after prolonged exposure. Wait 2-3 hours to breastfeed after a dose, and monitor the infant for vomiting and diarrhea.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X