Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entocort and breastfeeding

Hello,

My doctor just prescribed the cortisteroid Entocort at 3 capsules a day for 3 months for my crohns disease. Do you believe this drug is safe during breastfeeding as I am still exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old. I appreciate your insight. Much thanks!

Hello,

Dr. Hale rates the medications by risk. L1 medications are the most compatible with breastfeeding. The scale goes to L5, which are the medications that should be avoided while breastfeeding.

Budesonide Oral (Entocort) is rated an L3. This medication should present minimal risk to the breastfed infant. The effect of this medication is mainly local in the GI tract, minimal levels are detected in the plasma compartment. Thus, transfer to the breastmilk is probably minimal. There have been no reports of adverse effects in the breastfed infant when mom is taking this medication.

Please be sure the pediatrician is aware you are taking this medication so the infant can be monitored appropriately. The concern about steroids is if they are taken in large doses for extended periods of time, it can affect the linear (height) of the infant.

However, the dosage you mention is the normal dosage given of Entocort, and we think this is probably compatible with breastfeeding.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 if you have any additional questions. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-9pm, CDT.

Colleen Peace, RN, MSN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

More on entocort

I'm exclusively breastfeeding an almost 5 month old. Is 3mg of budesonide daily for 2 weeks safe? Im also taking 50mg of 6mp 1x daily and 1000mg of pentasa 4x daily.
      Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, CST. There are several things we would like to discuss with you on an individual basis about these medications.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Colleen

Colleen Peace, RN, MSN
        TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center
        Last edited by copeace; 12-29-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Sometimes a unique post whth a designing of this kind is really charming.This post has been somewhat of a revelaion to me.

Comment

Working...
          X