Canasa (mesalamine) Suppositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canasa (mesalamine) Suppositories

Hello, I am a 39 year old mother of 2 with well controlled UC x 17 years (and also a pharmacist!). I am still BF my son, who just turned a year old. I take Balsalazide 750 mg 3 caps TID at this point, and my most recent Colo (July) showed total remission.
    However, due to hormonal changes, I think I am having a localized flare up, more like a proctitis. The doctor wants me to try Canasa Supps (annusol HC supps did not help). I am seeing discussion on here about the oral mesalamine, but nothing about the supps. I saw an incident with watery diarrhea in infants when mom used the mesalamine supp, but wondering if this is an issue with a 12 month old who is not relying on breast milk for total nutrition (eating solids, drinks pumped milk mixed with cows milk when away from me, etc.)
    Thanks for your input.

Hi Maria,

We would not expect there to be a problem with you taking the Canasa suppositories and breastfeeding a 12-month old infant. There is at least one report of watery diarrhea in an infant whose mother was using mesalamine rectally. It is not something that is necessarily expected to happen, but we want you to be aware just in case it should occur. I discussed this with Dr. Hale, and he felt in your situation, the Canasa suppositories are probably compatible with breastfeeding.

Please feel free to call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-35-2519 if you have any further questions. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, CDT.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X