VSL#3 Probiotic Safe for baby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSL#3 Probiotic Safe for baby?

Hi - I am in the middle of a stubborn flare and I am trying VSl#3 probiotics double strength. My daughter (11months) had a pretty upset stomach today and I am wondering if I am putting her at risk when taking probiotics. I understand probiotics are actually healthy for babies but my concern is really due to the potent strength of VSL#3. Of course the pkg says to consult a doctor. Wondering if anyone has experiences or knowledge to share.

Hello,

Probiotics are microorganisms that elicit a beneficial health effect when ingested or applied to the body. When ingested or used vaginally, these products are considered safe and are usually well tolerated. Due to the fact that probiotics are not often absorbed systemically, it is unlikely that they will transfer into breast milk. Lactobacillus has been reported to appear in the colostrum, though the amounts reported were not clinically significant and most likely stemmed from external contamination. There are currently no published data regarding adverse effects in breastfed infants whose mothers were actively taking probiotics. Some studies suggest changes in flora of human milk following use of probiotics but these may be due to contamination with nipple flora.

We don’t have any information specific to VSL#3, but we think it is probably compatible with breastfeeding.

If you have any further questions, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8:00am-5:00pm, CDT.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X