Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haroon
    replied
    Anybody tell me is the real image of human find from blood DNA is this right If yes tell me how it is possible.

Leave a comment:

• cpride
    replied
    Dear Lori,

Dr. Hale will be away from the office for the next two weeks. I am not sure if he will be able to answer forum questions while he is out of the country. In my opinion, since the culture was negative twice after mother was treated with antibiotics, doing another culture would likely have the same result unless mother notes a change in symptoms. The neonatologist should be consulted for his/her opinion.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Leave a comment:

• lorirn
    replied
    Just wanted to give an update.
    The breast milk we cultured at 2 different times came back negative for GBS. Our neonatologist has given us the ok to give the baby the milk. Our next thought was to have mom re-cultured before we have baby actually go to the breast. Do you agree with this?
    Thanks again,
    Lori Lindsey, RN IBCLC RLC

Leave a comment:

• lorirn
    replied
    Cindy,
    Thank you so much.
    Lori Lindsey

Leave a comment:

• cpride
    replied
    Dear Lori,

I was able to find several references of late onset GBS sepsis in premature infants that appeared to have contracted the infection from breastmilk of mothers who had no symptoms of mastitis. Below are a few of the references. Hope you find them helpful.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Dinger, et al. Breast milk transmission of group B streptococcal
    infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002 Jun; 21(6):567-8.
    Oliver, et al. Neonatal group B streptococcal disease associated with
    infected breast milk. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2000 July; 83(1):
    F48-F49. doi: 10.1136/fn.83.1.F48.
    Byrne, et al. Clinical Cases and Brief Reports: Neonatal Group B
    Streptococcal Infection Related to Breast Milk. Breastfeed Med.2006,
    Winter; 1(4):263-270.
    Last edited by cpride; 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mom with nipple piercing wounds that have cultured heavy GBS positive

Dear Dr Hale,
    I have been searching and cannot come up with a good answer on this. We have a mom in our NICU that delivered at 32 week infant. She had nipple piercings that closed and so they were repierced. According to the Mom, she states that she has had drainage from these piercings for a year that "smells like pus." We had the discharge cultured and it grew skin flora as well as heavy GBS but no neutrophils so she is colonized and not sick nor having mastitis. She was a C Section and was treated with antibiotics after due to early delivery not a vaginal GBS infection. Our neonatologist has ordered for us not to use her milk, a culture was sent of her milk with no results as of yet, hopefully in a day or two we will have some. Since the baby is in the NICU and a preemie our neonatologist is very "conservative" when it comes to these things.
    Do you know of any references, or any information on this to guide me as I help the neonatologist decide what is best?
    Any help or guidance would be appreciated,
    Lori Lindsey, RN IBCLC RLC
    St Alexius Medical Center
    NICU Lactation Consultant
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    847-843-2000 ext 6853
Working...
X