Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom on antibiotics breastfeeding, baby on antibiotics for sinus infection

Hello,
    I'm currently breastfeeding and suffering from mastitis. I was prescribed Keflex 500mg three times a day for 10 days. I know that antibiotic is compatible with breastdeeding. In addition to that though, my 8 month old is going to be put on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. I just wanted to make sure it was okay that I continue to breastfeed when the baby and I are both on antibiotics? I just don't want her little body to be taking in too much medicine from the both of us. Thanks so much.

Alyson,

Keflex is probably ok to nurse with, only 0.39-1.47% of your dose transfers into breast milk. Take your medicine after nursing so that you have a break before nursing again. Monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush. The fact that your infant will be on an antibiotic at the same time may slightly increase the risk of GI upset and thrush.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Strongly agree with Sandra

Comment

I added iron to Candida Cultures in a petrie dish to enhance candida growth. But remember, I did not find candida in Milk.

My advice for this mom is to take the antibiotics until clear, then administer Bactroban to the end of her nipple after each feed. This seems to kill the bacteria in the entrance to the ducts and it has worked in the past in moms with repeat infections. Remember, the source of the bacteria is the nipple entrance to the ducts. Hence cleaning and treating the infection there may prevent repeat infections.

Comment

Working...
        X