Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding with zoloft and short term use of xanax

Hello,

I'm currently breastfeeding and being treated for ppd. I just started on 25mg of zoloft and was also prescribed .5mg of xanax to take up to twice a day as needed for two weeks. I was advised to "pump and dump" if I do need to take the xanax for panic attacks. However, in reviewing other threads it seems that it may be okay to continue to breastfeed as usual? Thanks you for your time!

Hi Momma3,

How old is your infant, and was the infant full term at birth?

Colleen

Colleen Peace, MSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Zoloft and xanax

My doctor is recommending a similar course of treatment, including Zoloft and Xanax as needed. I am currently breastfeeding my five month old son, who was born full term as is now over 16 lbs. would you recommend continuing breastfeeding while taking these medications, or would it be advisable to wean? Breastfeeding is very important to me, and I am concerned that weaning abruptly would worsen my depression. My husband is extremely against breastfeeding on meds. Do the benefits of the meds outweigh any risk to the baby? What are the risks to the baby, if any?

I have taken lexapro in the past and have responded well to it. Is Zoloft more compatible with breastfeeding? What would the risks to baby be if I took lexapro instead?

Comment

Hi Babyblues,

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 so we can discuss this with you on an individual basis. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, CST. We will be happy to give you all the information we have about these medications in order to help you make an informed decision. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Colleen

Colleen Peace, RN, MSN
        TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
        X