Klonopin And Breastfeeding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klonopin And Breastfeeding.

Hi. I am currently 19 weeks pregnant and taking 1.5-2mg of Klonopin. I take the .5mg 3-4x daily but my doctor is talking about switching to 1 mg 2x daily. I was taking 1mg (.5mg 2x daily) before the pregnancy but once I got pregnant I tried to wean off unsuccessfully, the anxiety and panic attacks started to increase due to the pregnancy and so here I am with this higher dose. I really was looking forward to breastfeeding my child when he/she is born but my midwife told me I wouldn't be able to on the medicine and I am not confident that I can wean off the medicine in time. I know I'm not suppose to even be on the drug while pregnant but the doctor said the benefits outweigh the risks. I am very upset about not being able to breastfeed, I was wondering if there was any professionals on here who think that I would still be able to breastfeed on this dose of Klonopin, and what are the risks and benefits of doing so. Thank You .

Hi Bandagesandbutterflies,

Dr. Hale rates the medications by risk. Medications rated L1 are the most compatible with breastfeeding. The scale goes to L5, which are the medications that should be avoided while breastfeeding. Klonopin is rated an L3.

The normal adult dosage is 0.5-1 mg, three times a day. You mentioned your dosage was going to increase to 1 mg, twice a day. This is still within the recommended dosage.

Transmission in breastmilk is likely low. There has been one report of neurobehavioural complications in a 36 week old preemie which was probably due to the infant being exposed in utero over months, and then via breastmilk.

If you have any further questions, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Our hours are Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm, CST.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X