Anxiety meds while BF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety meds while BF

Hi, I'm currently taking Zoloft and not getting the relief I need from anxiety. However, it is helping with PPD. My doctor is hesitant to prescribe anything to me since I'm nursing my 7 mo old. (I'm his first BF mom.) What are the options available to me to combat the anxiety?

Thank you,

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

Below is the reply from your previous post. I wasn't sure if you saw my response or not. If you need more specific information, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, CDT.

Thanks!

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Hi Michelle,

Dr. Hale rates the medications by risk. L1 – L5. The L1 medications are the safest, L5 are the medications you should avoid while breastfeeding.

You mention you are currently taking Zoloft. Zoloft is rated an L2, and is the preferred antidepressant to use while breastfeeding. Zoloft has been extensively studied in many breastfeeding mothers. The data is consistent that levels in breastmilk are quite low and do not normally affect an infant.

If the antidepressant you are taking is working, we don’t recommend you change. However, you mention you are still anxious. Your physician will make a determination if your dosage of Zoloft should be increased, or if you need a different medication. Other possible medications for anxiety include Xanax (this can be taken while breastfeeding if taken as a low dose, intermittently, and for a short term), BuSpar, Lexapro, Prozac, Ativan, and Paxil. Each of these medications have unique properties. If your physician changes your medication, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519 so we can discuss the specifics of the medication with you.

The Percocet 5/325 you are taking as needed is probably compatible with breastfeeding. The levels in breastmilk are moderate. The infant should be observed for sedation.

Methocarbamol is also probably compatible with breastfeeding. Only minimal amounts have been found in breastmilk. The infant should be monitored for sedation while you are taking this medication, as well.

If you have any further questions, please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Our hours are 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri, CDT. We can then visit with you and discuss the medications in detail, based on your situation.

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
    TTUHSC, InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi Michelle,

I thought maybe you weren't able to locate my response before.

With regards to the Methocarbamol. One suggestion might be Flexeril. The Flexeril is rated an L3. We have a limited amount of studies on Flexeril, but we think it's probably compatible with breastfeeding if taken in lower doses.

Probably the best thing to do is to first find out what medication your physician wants to prescribe and then call us with the name of the medication. Then we can give you specifics for that particular medication.

Thanks,

Colleen Peace, BSN, RN
      TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Hi Michelle, i think don't you need eat too much medications as a breastfeeding mother. Because the effect side of medications may be affected your child. Actually, there are many ways to get rid of you anxiety, such as listening to the music and something interesting.
        Last edited by tina chen; 08-15-2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

You mention you are currently taking Zoloft. Zoloft is rated an L2, and is the preferred antidepressant to use while breastfeeding. Zoloft has been extensively studied in many breastfeeding mothers. The data is consistent that levels in breastmilk are quite low and do not normally affect an infant.

Comment

Working...
          X