Low dose Clonazepam for PLMD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low dose Clonazepam for PLMD

I could not find the correct board to post this too. I am on a low dose of Clonazepam (0.5mg) at bedtime for severe periodic limb movement disorder which prevents me from getting REM sleep if untreated. I am aware that I can’t take this during pregnancy, but is it safe to take while breastfeeding? For further information I am also on 100mg Zoloft and 200mg Lamictal.

ma0613,

Clonazepam is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breast milk is 2.8% of your dose. If you keep the dose low like the 0.5mg once a day it is probably ok as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, poor feedings and poor weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Is it safe for pregnancy?

Comment

Ma0613:

We don't know much about its use in pregnancy, but there are some reports of an increased risk of some malformations with the use of other benzodiazepines like clonazepam. There have been reports of neonatal flaccidity, respiratory and feeding difficulties, and hypothermia in children born to mothers who have been receiving benzodiazepines late in pregnancy.

All in all, in your situation with limited use, I don't think there's much risk. You always have to include to the risk of untreated anxiety disorders, etc. All of these disorders have a built in risk for pregnancies and so we always have to balance the risk of the drug with the risk to the pregnancy.

We generally accept the lower to limited risk of the drug. In essence, keep the mom healthy at all risks.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
        X