Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bio identical progesterone

Hello!
    I’m writing from Germany and hope that you can help me a bit more, because here in Germany is only little knowledge about this topic.
    Before i got pregnant I had low progesterone levels and I took bio identical progesterone against my anxiety which helped very very good. Now my son is 7 weeks old and the anxiety started again. I want to avoid taking Paroxetin. The doctor who gave me the progesterone says that it is really ok to take it also while breastfeeding. I just wanted to ask if you also have any informations or knowledge about this...? I’m worried that it could affect my sons development in a negative way...
    best regards
    isna

Isna,

Progesterone is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. "Estrogens and progestins are secreted into milk in minute quantities and do not appear to have clinically relevant effects on the infants health. Studies of these products in breastfeeding women have found typical RIDs to be less than 1% (RID < 1% for ethinylestradiol and 0.1% for progestogen)." (Medications and Mothers' Milk database, Dr Thomas Hale PhD). The main concern with progesterone is that it may decrease your milk supply, and gynecomastia in infants has been reported but are extremely rare.

Paroxetine is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. Only 1.2-2.8% of your dose transfers into breast milk. We think this one is ok to nurse with as long as your infant is not symptomatic. Monitor your infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X