Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ptsd, Buspar, and Ativan

Hello,
    ive been trying to get through to the hotline for quite some time and it just rings indefinitely. I’m currently dealing with a lot of anxiety and panic attacks as a result of PTSD being triggered. I take Buspar and GP also tried Cymbalta, which was a no go and Zoloft which also didn’t help as both increased my anxiety. So I also began using Ativan up to 1mg/day but never have had to take more .75mg to get through a day. My psychiatrist just took me off Zoloft and increased Buspar to the max dose but I’m still finding that .25mg of Ativan in the morning and again in the evening seems to be best at keeping panic at bay and I’m hoping the increase in Buspar kicks in quickly. However my psychiatrist couldn’t figure out why I’m still nursing a 3 year old and said I shouldn’t have ever taken Ativan as she will become dependent. I had read in previous forums that it’s the safer of the benzos. So my question is in the meantime while I work through the ptsd in counseling and the Buspar increase kicks in is it ok if I keep taking the Ativan at the .25 twice a day and sometimes up to .75mg per day. It has been about a month that I’ve been doing that and haven’t noticed any ill effects in the little. Also once I’m able to wean off of it would she be expected to experience any withdrawal?

Nizismom:

While it is true that individuals exposed to the benzodiazepines do become dependent (depending on the dose), I doubt that exposure via milk at 3 years of age is going to make your infant dependent. I agree that it is the safest of this family, while some dependency may become evident in you, I really doubt your infant would received enough from "this dose" in milk to induce dependency in the infant.

Good luck.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X