X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandra
    replied
    Maward4881,

The Omega 3 vitamins are probably ok if you stay in the recommended dose range. The recommended dose of DHA is 300mg a day and EPA is 159-563 mg a day.

L[COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]arge maternal doses of DHA should be used with great caution in breastfeeding mothers, diabetics, and patients with bleeding disorders. Because this lipid is selectively transferred into human milk, milk levels could be high and potentially hazardous to an infant. Daily doses in breastfeeding mothers should probably not exceed 300 mg/day (International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids).

Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) is a polyunsaturated lipid commonly found in human milk. Use caution in patients who have a known hypersensitivity to fish and/or shellfish. EPA may prolong bleeding time. Coagulation studies should be done on patients who concurrently take anticoagulants such as warfarin or coumadin. Also, monitor bleeding time if patients are on aspirin or NSAIDS routinely.

Sandra Lovato[/FONT][/COLOR]

Leave a comment:

• maward4881
    replied
    Thanks Sandra, after taking this information to my doctor she has decided to hold off on medicine until I am done breastfeeding. Could you tell me if taking Omega vitamins would harm my son in any way?

Leave a comment:

• Sandra
    replied
    Maward,

Lipitor is rated an L3-no data-probably compatible. [COLOR=#333333][FONT=lucida grande]It is known to transfer into animal milk, but human studies are not available. Due to its poor oral absorption and high protein binding, it is unlikely that clinically relevant amounts would transfer into human milk. Cholesterol and other products of cholesterol biosynthesis are essential components for fetal and neonatal development and the use of cholesterol- lowering drugs would not be advisable under most circumstances. In your situation where your infant is at the age to begin baby foods and will be receiving other forms of nutrition we think it will probably be ok to use this medication, just have your pediatrician check the infants cholesterol levels in about a month to make sure they are normal.

I hope this helps.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519[/FONT][/COLOR] [HR][/HR]

Leave a comment:

• maward4881
    started a topic Breastfeeding with High Cholesterol

Breastfeeding with High Cholesterol

I had a full blood work done and received the news today that my LDL level is extremely high. The doctor wants to start me on Lipitor, however, I am not sure if that is safe for my 6 month old son. Can someone please help??!!
Working...
X