Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryr
    replied
    I will definitely get her vaccinated when time. Does viremic stage mean that the hpv test is positive? Even if it’s positive, is it very likely to happen?

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Maryr:

While it's possible from vaginal exposure, it's not likely unless you were in a viremic stage at the time of delivery. Be sure to vaccinate your infant at the appropriate age. Ask your pediatrician but I've heard of using it before 11 years of age.

Dr. Hale

Leave a comment:

• Maryr
    replied
    Thank you. That eases my mind to know that even if my high-risk hpv comes back that my baby will be okay when breastfeeding.

However, the info you provided leads me to another question: my baby was delivered vaginally. My dr said this was okay since I don't have warts. But your info suggests the baby may get high-risk hpv as a result of this?

Leave a comment:

• admin
    replied
    Maryr:

Yes, its safe to breastfeed. Here is what I have in my book.

Dr. Hale

------------
    As a rule, close contact is required for transmission of these viruses from one individual to the next. This is evidenced by the high incidence of cutaneous warts in school children, as well as the link between public pools and plantar warts. Due to the viral nature of warts, they are often seen in immunocompromised patients. Anogenital warts most often are transferred through sexual contact and often resolve spontaneously without causing clinical effects. In the event that anogenital warts occur frequently or for prolonged periods of time, the risk for cervical cancer increases greatly.[1] It is possible to transfer HPV to an infant through the birth canal or from non-genital sites. The incubation period is varied, ranging from a few months to several years in length. It is possible that a neonate who is exposed to HPV virus will never develop clinical symptoms or may only show presence of the virus over the course of many years.[1]

HPV has been found to enter the breastmilk in one study.[2] During this study, approximately 4% of women were found to have HPV-16 DNA in breastmilk samples. However, it was not established if the presence of DNA stemmed from virus in the milk or somewhere else. Another study addressed the findings of the previous one, again evaluating if HPV DNA was present within the breastmilk. This study did not find any evidence of high risk HPV within milk. At the current time, the authors of the study do not believe that evidence exists which suggests maternal to infant transfer of the virus, that would require discontinuation of breastfeeding while the mother is infected with this disease.[3]

Leave a comment:

• Maryr
    replied
    Any input would be appreciated. My dr says its safe but I keep reading conflicting information online.

Leave a comment:

• Maryr
    started a topic Breastfeeding with High-Risk HPV

Breastfeeding with High-Risk HPV

Years ago, I was diagnosed with high Risk HPV and had abnormal paps. Currently, my paps and hpv tests have been negative. I was just wondering if it is safe to breastfeed even if the hpv comes back while I am breastfeeding?
Working...
X