Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic nails and breastfeeding

Hello Infant Risk team!

I am a very worried mom. I wore acrylic nails from the time my breastfed daughter was 2 months old until she was 6 months. I was recently told that the acrylic nails could have effected my daughter as the chemicals present in the nails may have leeched into my breastmilk. I quickly took to the internet only to find out that there is practically no research on the matter.

Ingredients typically found in acrylic nails:

Methacrylate
    Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
    Toluene
    Formaldehyde
    Camphor
    Paraffin
    Methacrylic
    Acetone
    Acetonitrile

I am terribly worried that I caused my daughter harm by getting my nails done. Please help put my mind at ease, I am absolutely losing sleep over this.

Thank you so much for your help and expertise.

Kristyn

Kristyn:

There is no evidence that I can find that acrylic resins cause autism. I did a PubMed search and didn't find anything. Honestly, most of these substances would simply harden on top of the existing nail, or volatilize into the air before absorption through the existing nail.

I don't think there's any reality in birth defects and the use of acrylic nails.

Tom Hale PhD.

Comment

While there might not have been extensive research on the specific effects of acrylic nails on breastfeeding at the time, it's essential to prioritize your baby's health.
      To help put your mind at ease, consider discussing your concerns with a healthcare professional, such as a pediatrician or a lactation consultant. They can provide guidance and reassurance based on your specific situation.
      On a lighter note, if you ever want to explore some creative and safe nail designs, you can check out Classy Short Nail Designs You Need to Try ([url]https://dukesavenue.com/short-nail-designs/[/url]). It's a fun way to pamper yourself while ensuring your baby's health is a top priority.​
      Last edited by Moneywa; 11-09-2023, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X