Breastfeeding With Maternal Jaundice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding With Maternal Jaundice

I have tried to find out information online about this and everything comes up re: newborn jaundice. I am currently breastfeeding my 16 month old son 6-8 times a day (on demand). There is something going on with my pancreas/ducts and we are in the process of getting a diagnosis. I am currently in a state of high bilirubin in my urine, experiencing itching and other symptoms of hyperbilirubin, and the doctor think the only reason I have not “turned yellow” is because the bilirubin is also excreting in my breastmilk and my son nurses frequently enough to help keep it from building up to a critical point.

Is this true? Will it hurt my son? Should I wean him? I cannot find any information on this anywhere.

Is there truly no information or response from anyone from the team on this at all?
    I have an appointment with a surgical oncologist on December 19 and I realize that I will most likely have to wean my son if this is a bad diagnosis, however, I really would like to know if this bilirubin is A). Excreting in large amounts in my milk and B). Will harm my son to ingest, making it necessary to wean him, even perhaps temporarily until this is figured out definitively.
    His pediatrician has no idea. My PCP, other than his theory, has no idea. I am turning to this as the authority to find out.

Comment

Suz:

We do not have any data that suggests bilirubin transfers into human milk. In fact, we actually tried measuring it in one mothers milk (that was slightly grey in color), but we were unable to find any at all.

As for damaging your child, I think not. If your child was 1 week old and hyperbilirubinemic, then it's a possibility. But at 16 months, no, I don't see any risk that it would damage this old an child.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you, Dr. Hale.

Comment

[QUOTE=suz;n10853]I have tried to find out information online about this and everything comes up re: newborn jaundice. I am currently breastfeeding my 16 month old son 6-8 times a day (on demand). There is something going on with my pancreas/ducts and we are in the process of getting a diagnosis. I am currently in a state of high bilirubin in my urine, experiencing itching and other symptoms of hyperbilirubin, and the doctor think the only reason I have not “turned yellow” is because the bilirubin is also excreting in my breastmilk and my son nurses frequently enough to help keep it from building up to a critical point.

Is this true? Will it hurt my son? Should I wean him? I cannot find any information on this anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Good day. Faced with his wife the exact same problem. Bilirubin is eliminated from the mother’s liver, our doctor advised us to stop feeding the baby for a while. He prescribed pills that suited my wife. This is a good online pharmacy https: //fairpricerx.com. After three weeks you can feed the baby. So do not worry, the course took her three weeks. Happy New Year everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X