Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Levofloxacin and breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levofloxacin and breastfeeding

I am currently breastfeeding my 11 week old and was prescribed 500mg Levofloxacin once daily for 5 days. Just wanting to double check that this is okay to take while breastfeeding. The prescribing provider advised me to wait to breastfeed for 4 hours after taking the medication.

Sozbun,

Levofloxacin is rated an L2-limited data-probably compatible. The amount that transfers into breastmilk is 10.5-17.2% of your dose. We do recommend waiting a minimum of 2 hours to nurse, but the longer you wait reduces the amount transferred into the breast milk. The half-life is 6-8 hours. With any antibiotic monitor your infant for vomiting, diarrhea, rash and thrush. Short term use of 5 days is probably ok as long as your baby is not symptomatic.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X