Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Gallium 67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium 67

I am a nurse and IBCLC, who is also nursing a 14 month old. I had to have a bone scan this week with GA67 (3.8 millicurie) and was told to wait 3 weeks until I could resume breastfeeding. I am pumping and freezing, on the off chance this milk might be useful in a few weeks. Should I wait 5 half-lives to use the milk? 10? The litterature I've found is very conflicting. I live in Montreal and do not know if I can have this EBM checked at a lab. Thank you.

Cfinoli,

Gallium 67:

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission and the International Commission on Radiological Protection issue guidelines for radiopharmaceuticals with the intent of delivering an effective dose of less than 1 mSv of radiation to the infant per procedure. The NRC advises that breastfeeding should be interrupted for a minimum of 1 week following a dose of 7.4 MBq, 2 weeks for 48.1 MBq, or 1 month for 148 MBq. The ICRP does not distinguish between different dosages and recommends breastfeeding interruption for at least 3 weeks or complete cessation. The 3.8 mCi equals to 140.6 MBq when converted.

Close contact restrictions:
    Minimize extended close contact (e.g. co-sleeping or carrying infant in a sling) for the same period as the breastfeeding restriction.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X