Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

methylene blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• methylene blue

Good Morning,

I would appreciate any input you can give me to advise a young mother. She is having methylene blue injected around a recently discovered tumor on her leg to discern sentinel nodes. She is still nursing a one year old child and would like to resume as she can prior to treatment. Thank you!

I have received a correction on the contrast that will be used...it is lymphazurin. Would appreciate your input.

Comment

Mary:

This is what I know about isosulfan blue. I'd suggest a 24 hour wait following surgery. But this is just a guess.

Tom Hale PH.D.

Isosulfan blue is a contrast agent used for visualization of the lymphatic system drainage. Each mL of solution contains 10 mg isosulfan blue, 6.6 mg sodium monohydrogen phosphate, and 2.7 mg potassium dihydrogen phosphate.[1] Isosulfan blue has higher rate of success in detecting sentinel lymph nodes than does technetium-99m sulfur colloid (TSC).[2] Severe adverse reactions have been documented, such as a sudden drop in systolic arterial pressure during surgery only stabilized by continuous epinephrine infusions of 400 ?g/hour.[3] Methylene blue dye has been shown to be equally effective without the chance of severe adverse side effects, and thus its use is increasing.[4] No data are available on the transfer of isosulfan blue into breast milk, and therefore caution should be used in breastfeeding mothers.

Comment

Working...
      X