Postpartum MMR Vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postpartum MMR Vaccine

I recently had my 4th baby and prior to being discharged I was told I needed an MMR vaccine because I was no longer immune. After the fact I learned that technically I was immune (equivocal status) but regardless I had already received the vaccine. Prior to the vaccine I asked about the safety of breastfeeding and was reassured there was no issue. When I got home I researched and came to understand that the live viruses may transfer through to the breastmilk. I nursed twice upon receipt of the vaccine but then stopped due to my uncertainty of the safety. I currently am pumping and storing my breastmilk. Could you please advise if it is safe for me to continue breastfeeding my newborn and whether I am able to feed my child the prior stored breastmilk? I also read disturbing research regarding offering children their typical MMR vaccination when the mother was given the vaccine postpartum and was breastfeeding. If it is safe to continue breastfeeding, is it also safe to continue my sons vaccinations as planned?
Working...
X