No announcement yet.

What are the risks of infant withdrawl when using oxycodone in third trimester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the risks of infant withdrawl when using oxycodone in third trimester

I recently had to be flown by emergency helicopter to a large hospital at 28 weeks to have an emergency nephrostomy tube placed. I have a 100% blockage of my right ureter due to either a congenital condition or a very large stone. I will need surgery after baby is delivered to correct it but for now the safest thing to do is keep the nephrostomy tube in place until delivery. The tube is very painful for me and I have to have it replaced every 4 weeks. I can barely function with the pain it causes, I have to have help doing simple things like showering/food prep/dressing etc. I was given a script for percocet to help manage the pain and of course the instruction to try my best to avoid its use. I agree wholeheartedly in limiting it to only when absolutely needed. The percocet is the only way I am able to get up and do some normal things without excruciating pain. Tylenol has been ineffective in even making the pain tolerable. At this time I am limiting it as much as possible but I have been taking 1-2 tablets (5/325mg) a day. I worry about the effects on the baby. While I know the medication probably won't harm baby directly I am fearful of infant withdrawal after birth if I continue to need the percocet. Are the risks for infant withdrawal significantly higher with certain doses, is there a connection between frequency of dose and withdrawal, is there a connection between severity of withdrawal and dosage/length of exposure? Would it be better to stop the medication and suffer through the pain?

mrsstutler,

Withdrawal symptoms are a possibility when using Percocet during pregnancy. It does depend on the dose and duration of use, but every person reacts differently to certain medications. If you are only taking 1-2 tablets of 5/325mg a day it is unlikely the infant would have severe withdrawal if any withdrawal symptoms, especially if you breastfeed after delivery. If the infant were to have withdrawal symptoms the infant can be treated directly with medications to help reduce the symptoms. We would recommend that you continue taking this medication to stay comfortable.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X