Aspirin while pregnant and breastfeeding a 1 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspirin while pregnant and breastfeeding a 1 year old

I am currently pregnant and taking 75mg of Aspirin a day, Vitamin E and prenatal vitamins, because of a history of pre-eclapmsia and IUGR during my last pregnancy. During the last pregnancy I also took Aspirin (2nd and 3rd trimester, metildopa and Vitamin E as a treatment for pre-eclapmsia) so the infant I am currently nursing was also exposed to these substances intrauterine.

Currently he is 1 year old and I am still nursing. He has 6 nursings per 24 hours but the amount of milk he gets and the time he spends at breast are very low since my supply dropped. He nurses mostly for comfort.

I am concerned about Reye Syndrome and metabolic acidosis. Is there a relevant risk in our particular case?

What can I do to make sure he gets the very low amount of Aspirin in the breastmilk? I take Aspirin at noon and than delay nursing for 4-5 hours. How many hours should pass between taking Aspirin and the drug disappearing from my breastmilk? Do I need to pump & dump so that Aspirin clears from my breastmilk?

I will probably take Aspirin throughout pregnancy. Is there a risk of long term chronic exposure of my infant to the Aspirin that passes in the breastmilk? (probably at some point if he continues to nurse, he will "dry nurse" since I will no longer produce milk). Does Aspirin tend to build up over time in his body as I had read on various sources? Unfortunately we cannot wean abruptly and the information I have on Aspirin and Bf is conflicting.

Best regards!

Hi, thanks for your post.

Start with this response that I recently wrote for our website:
    http://mommymeds.com/frequently-asked-questions/aspirin

I will add that toddlers get much less breastmilk relative to their body weight than infants, so the amount of aspirin that gets to your older child is even less than it would be for a new baby. Also, aspirin does not build up over time, but the anti-clotting EFFECTS of aspirin last longer than the actual drug does.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
    X