Dental Procedure and Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental Procedure and Breastfeeding

I am getting my wisdom teeth removed. I am wondering if these medications will be okay to take while breastfeeding.

Versed, toradol, dexamethasone, ketamine, and propofol. All of these are given as IV Medications.

They also will perscribe me an oral pain medication: Ibuprofen, hydrocodone/acetaminophen, and antibiotic.

kfleish, thanks for posting,

We recommend waiting 4 hours to breastfeed after your procedure with the versed and propofol provided you are fully awake at that time, and that your infant is not premature, and/or they do not have a history of apnea. Monitor the infant for sedation, and slow breathing rate.

Ketamine we recommend a 2 hour interruption, and toradol there is no wait.

Dexamethsone is probably ok if used at low to moderate doses for a short period of time, you will probably only receive 1 dose during your procedure.

Ibuprofen is ok, do not exceed more than 2400mg in 24 hours.

Hydrocodone/acetaminophen do not exceed more than 30-40mg in 24 hours of the hydrocodone, avoid first 2 hours after a dose to breastfeed and monitor for sedation, poor feedings, constipation and apnea if too sedated.

We would need to know the name of the antibiotic used and how old your infant is to recommend on it.

I hope this helps, if you have any other question please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X