clonazepam and prozac??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clonazepam and prozac??

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant. I have a history of anxiety and bipolar. When I found out I was pregnant my OB, at the time, told me to stop taking all my medications, cold turkey. I was on topamax 200mg, cymbalta and clonazepam 2mg/ day. I remained on the clonazepam and still currently taking it, 2-3mg/ day, as well as, prozac 20mg. I have switched OBs. My question: I really want to breastfeed. I have been advised by several doctors not to. I honestly think it is due to liability reasons they say no. I contacted a LC, she told me about this site. Is it ok for me to breastfeed with these medications?I have been on clonazepam for 8 years, but I am willing to switch the prozac, I read that cymbalta was safer? I am aware that I need to monitor my baby for withdrawls, sedation and poor weight gain...
    Would it be better to switch the prozac? If so when? It's working ok now, I do have a history of postpartum depression... I just want what is best for my little one!
    Thank you... I can't express how good it is to know that someone is able to help me that is knowledgeable in this area..

t3cowgirl:

For the most part, all the antianxiety and bipolar medications can be safely used while breastfeeding to treat these two syndromes. The most important thing to remember, is that healthy moms make healthy babies. Thus it is important that you keep control of your anxiety, and depression, even if it requires taking drugs. Millions have used Prozac safely in pregnancy and breastfeeding. Find a physician that will help you get the right mixture and call the InfantRisk center for advice. Remember, you can breastfeed with most of these drugs safely.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

you are right

I'm new here , nice thread!

Comment

Is safe to treat a breastfeeding motherĀ“s insonmia with clonazepan 0,25 mg at bedtime? After how many hours she should avoid breastfeeding?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, clonazepam has such a long half-life that an interruption of breastfeeding doesn't reduce the baby's exposure very much. On the other hand, published studies of women taking low doses of clonazepam at bedtime found that only about 3% of the mother's dose was transferred via the milk. At these levels, the drug was often undetectable in the baby's blood. We give it an L3 safety rating (out of 5, "Probably compatible"). Observe the baby for changes in sleep and breathing patterns. Do not use with premature infants.

Please call us at the InfantRisk Center if this has not completely answered your question.*(806)352-2519

-James Abbey, MD

Comment

Working...
          X