Protonix (pantropazole) 40mg tablets in pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protonix (pantropazole) 40mg tablets in pregnancy

I was taking protonic (pantropazole) 40mg tablets once a day during my pregnancy for about six and a half months. Dr said was okay to take and there did not seem to be any warnings on the insert when taking. But after Zantac was recalled recently, I got concerned about this medicine and cancer risk especially after looking it up. If this a concern in any way for my baby?

Maryr:

Zantac warning had nothing to do with pantoprazole. Zantac had a problem with its molecule breaking down to toxic products. Pantoprazole is not at all like ranitidine(Zantac), so there is nothing to worry about with pantoprazole. Its like apples and oranges, not the same.

Tom Hale Ph.D;

Comment

Dr hale

thank you for the response. I did see online that pantoprazole does have its own risk for cancer due to studies with animals with long term use. And also stomach cancer in humans with long term use. Is this a concern for the baby since I was on it for 6.5 months when pregnant? I was also on reglan and diclegis at this time of that makes a difference.

thanks Mary
      Last edited by Maryr; 04-06-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Maryr:

Those studies that suggested an elevated risk of cancer are somewhat unclear and only cancer only seems to be increased in those patients on PPIs for many many years. The risk is still argued in the literature.

I'd suggest you talk with your physician to see if you should continue using them or not, but I wouldn't worry about there use over a year or so.

Dr. Hale

Comment

Thank you so much. I am not actually on the meds at this point. My baby is now 12 weeks old. I was only on them when pregnant with her for 6.5 months due to nausea.

I have another question if you don’t mind: when the baby was six weeks old my obgyn prescribed me metronidazole 500mg tablets twice a day for seven days. She said it was safe to breastfeed my baby while on them despite the cancer warning with long term use in rats on the pamphlet. (I believe I started the tablets a few days later when she was seven weeks old). A week after I finished the tablets she prescribed metro gel 0.75% to be inserted vaginally for 5 days since the infection had not cleared up. Again she said it was safe while breastfeeding. So I breastfed the baby while taking both meds. (I ended up giving the baby formula just for one day because I was so concerned but they told me not to be). I’m just concerned about the cancer warnings on these Meds but the dr assured me (as did the pediatrician) that these were perfectly safe in breastfeeding. Do you have any thoughts on that? (especially since I was on the pantrozole when pregnant and then the metronidazole and metro gel when breastfeeding. I hate the thought that I put my baby at risk). I am also on a prenatal vitamin due to breastfeeding and Zoloft 100mg if that makes a difference. I believe the Zoloft dose was slightly less at time I was taking the metronidazole tables and gel. My baby received a couple of her two month vaccines right before I started on the gel. (doubt makes a difference but I wanted you to have the complete picture).
          Last edited by Maryr; 04-06-2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Maryr:

As far as I know, there is nothing published which suggests any risk in HUMANS of cancer from metronidazole. Those old studies were done in rodents, at high doses. Only hysterical lawyers suggest it is associated with cancer in humans.

None of us in this field think there is any risk of cancer in humans.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Thank you doctor. Its just hard knowing what to believe when I see these warnings on medicines that I took while pregnant and breastfeeding my baby.

My doctor said that with the metronidazole and the gel my baby would not get very much from breastfeeding plus I was not on it long enough, and the pediatrician stated that babies actually receive this medicine themselves when needed. Are these two statements accurate?

Also, Im not sure if this is a thing but while applying the metro gel some got onto a blanket that my older child touched. If she got some on her or if she then touched a toy or stuffed animal or something and some of the gel was placed there, would this be a concern if she kept touching the toy, etc. over a period of time and then went to the bathroom or ate or had it on her skin (I realize I am reaching but this cancer fear is real for me)?

I truly appreciate all of your replies and attention to these questions that I am posing to you.

Comment

Dr Hale,

Sorry for posting again. and not sure if you have an answer for this (but you are a medicine expert) so here goes:

Im not sure if this is a thing but while applying the metro gel some got onto a blanket that my older child touched. If she got some on her and then she touched a toy or stuffed animal or the couch or something and some of the gel was placed there, would this be a concern if she or anyone else kept touching the toy, etc. over a period of time (weeks, months, years) and then each time went to the bathroom or ate or had it on her skin/absorbed into the skin, etc (I realize I am reaching but this cancer fear is real for me esp with long term use)?

Comment

Working...
                X