Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megace (megestrol) While Breastfeeding

Dr. Hale,

I am seeking advice about the compatability of Megace ES (megestrol acetate) 625 mg/5 ml oral suspension with breastfeeding. I took this medicine in the past to assist with weight gain, although I have not taken it since before becoming pregnant. I am currently exclusively breastfeeding a 3 week old baby girl and drop weight very quickly when doing so. Would megace ES be a safe medicine to take while breastfeeding? If so, what, if any, risks would there be to the newborn and would waiting until she is older decrease those risks?

Are there any other safe alternatives you can recommend for this purpose? I know periactin is one but that makes me extremely sleepy even at the smallest dose.

Also, would you know how much of each medicine transfers into breastmilk and when their peak levels are reached? I want to go the very safest route or delay medicine altogether if there are no safe options.

Thank you in advance.

Nicole
    ​​​
    Last edited by MNicole; 02-04-2019, 11:52 PM.

MNicole,

Megace is rated an L4-no data-possibly hazardous. There is currently no data on how much Megace could transfer into breast milk, however, this is a progesterone derivative so it could have similar effects as other progestins. Dr Hale worries that it could possibly suppress your your milk supply, especially early postpartum, plus several cases of gynecomastia have been reported, but is rare.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X