Phentermine while Breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phentermine while Breastfeeding

Hi, I was just prescribed Phentermine 30 mg once a day when I first get up which is around 530 am. I have a 3 year old and a 4 1/2 year old that still nurses to sleep at 530 and 6pm sometimes later. I know it's not safe to breastfeed with the medication with infants but would it be okay to still nurse to sleep with them being older. Please help.

Thank you,
    Amanda

Hi Amanda,
    Phentermine has a long half-life (20 hours), which means that it takes your body 20 hours to clear HALF of the dose. Unfortunately, that means that there will be a lot of drug in your system even after waiting 12 hours.
    Best,
    Kaytlin PharmD

Comment

Okay so why is it okay in this person's situation when she was even prescribed more than myself? Just trying to figure out why the response isn't consistent.

[url]https://www.infantrisk.com/forum/forum/medications-and-breastfeeding-mothers/cns-stimulants/13028-phentermine[/url] ([url]https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.infantrisk.com%2Fforum%2 Fforum%2Fmedications-and-breastfeeding-mothers%2Fcns-stimulants%2F13028-phentermine%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR3mYG5lAWVqsKYgD-mpjBRrY0rNMPyfaG9F6LcaQdUhT90WKsPVLEB0vso&h=AT2tTA tRTblFCmjLzJZBxil7kFSJgCUCiZO8jpcEI3izNI0TRtxOHkYM l5z--RpUDW2oIczItgZVl16LyudS9b-1OFtStwxzyDGSYtjIJ_vLcfynJHz3IGmGuHIJ3n7gz5Q[/url])

Comment

Okay but why is it okay for this person when she's nursing more and taking more than I am? Just trying to find out why the answers are not consistent

12-08-2019, 07:41 PM
        I'd be really grateful for some advice about breastfeeding and Phentermine in relation to my specific circumstances. I am breastfeeding my almost 3-year-old (twice per day--before sleep and first thing in the morning). My doctor has prescribed phen 40mg as my weight is not shifting despite best efforts. (There are a range of reasons that it is important that I manage my weight). I'm not sure whether I should completely wean before commencing the course, or whether given the age of my infant (and feeding schedule), it would be okay to continue feeding but be wary for any concerning symptoms?

12-09-2019, 09:32 AM
        Its probably not a problem due to your infants age. I'd suggest your breastfeed BEFORE you take the drug, then again at bedtime.

Observed for excitement, insomnia, or anorexia.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Amanda, excellent question. It is entirely dependent on your tolerance for risk.

Milk production and consumption for a 3 and 4 1/2 year old are likely quite low. It would be entirely feasible to give it a try if you decide. However, from what we understand there will be drug present in the milk. If you see any of the effects Dr. Hale mentioned above, or notice slowing of weight gain in the child, I'd suggest reconsidering.

Kaytlin Krutsch PharmD

Comment

Working...
          X