Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clonazepam

Hello,

My daughter just turned 1 and I've been taking Zoloft for the past 3 months for anxiety/depression which has helped quite a bit, but I'm still having a lot of anxiety at night so my doctor prescribed Clonazepam .25mg as needed. Is this truly safe? I've seen conflicting information.

Mschmi5,

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is rated an L3-limited data-probably compatible. The amount transferred into breast milk is 2.8% of your dose. Data suggest a low incidence of toxicity with this medication in breastfeeding infants. We do advise trying to keep your dose low and to monitor your infant for sedation, slowed breathing rate, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain, as long as your infant is not symptomatic it should probably be ok.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

She only nurses 3 times during the day (about every 4 hours) and maybe twice at night. Is there a peak when the medicine is the highest? I obviously nurse her first before taking it but just wondering when the medicine would be the highest? Also what is the half life for .25mg?

Edited to add: I havent noticed any negative side effects with her yet, but it's only been 2 days. Do you think she would have showed symptoms by now? She's a very healthy 27lbs at 1 years old, she loves food, and I haven't noticed her being more tired than usual or slowed breathing so I'm hoping she will be just fine!
      Last edited by mschmi5; 06-22-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Mschmi5,

It is most concentrated in the milk between 1-4 hours, but has a half-life of 18-50 hours, if possible avoid the peak time, but since she is a little older she will probably be ok.

Sandra Lovato

Comment

Working...
        X