Astepro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astepro

Hi I am on Astepro nasal spray once daily, one spray per nostril. I am newly pregnant (6 weeks) and am wondering if this is safe to continue taking. Thank you kindly

Ayemac, thanks for posting,

Astepro is given a P3 rating in pregnancy-unknown, risk to the fetus cannot be ruled out.

There are no adequate or well controlled studies in pregnant women. In a study of mice that were given an oral dose of 68.6 mg/kg (approximately 280 times the maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mg/m2 basis) there were some fetal-embryo deaths and malformations noted and some cases of maternal toxicity, but with the nasal spray neither fetal nor maternal effects occurred at a dose of 3 mg/kg (approximately 10 times the maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mg/m2 basis).

In rats, an oral dose of 30 mg/kg (approximately 240 times the maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mg/m2 basis) caused malformations (oligo-and brachydactylia), delayed ossification and skeletal variations, in the absence of maternal toxicity. Neither fetal nor maternal effects occurred at a dose of 3 mg/kg (approximately 25 times the maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mg/m2 basis).

In rabbits, oral doses of 30 mg/kg and greater (approximately 500 times the maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mg/m2 basis) caused abortion, delayed ossification and decreased fetal weight; however, these doses also resulted in severe maternal toxicity. Neither fetal nor maternal effects occurred at a dose of 0.3 mg/kg (approximately 5 times the maximum recommended daily intranasal dose in adults on a mg/m2 basis).

As with any medication it should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus.

We recommend speaking with your OB before starting any medication. I hope this helps if you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. Thanks,

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X