Antidepressants and SIDS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antidepressants and SIDS??

Quick background for my situation: I was on 20mg prozac when I became pregnant, my obgyn advised me to try and get off the medication. I have taken prozac since i was 13 (now 26) for anxiety and OCD. I was off medicine for only a month and ended up having to go to an inpatient hospital program where they had to increase my dosage to 40 which I have taken until now (I am 31 weeks). I had horrible anxiety about taking this medicine during pregnancy because of the concerns with PPHN and possible neonatal adaptation issues. I did finally become comfortable and continued my medicine, staying off the internet as much as possible because it only increased my anxiety. However, the other day I saw a news article on my home web page that stated that SIDS has been found to be related to low seratonin levels in infants. This has caused me terrible concern because I am aware that Prozac alters brain chemistry and increases levels of seratonin in the brain. I'm worried that since my baby has been exposed to this medicine that her body has become used to hvaing the increased seratonin available by the medication. My concern is that once she is born, she will no longer be able to produce the chemicals she needs on her own because she hasn't developed the ability to. I'm terrified she's going to have this low seratonin problem and be at a big risk for SIDS. If you could please offer any information that you may have on this subject as my doctors seem to know nothing about what I'm speaking of. The article stated that the brains of infants who passed away from SIDS have 26% lower seratonin levels in their brains, and that since seratonin affects the sleeping process, that they simple didn't have the chemicals needed to wake up when they were suppose to or breathe automatically like they were suppose to. I really appreciate any help and information you can provide, I want to go back to being excited about my baby and not a complete nervous wreck.... thank you so much!

Dear PVaughan,

Prozac (fluoxetine) has been used for over 20 years with no apparent increased risk of SIDS associated with this medication in the scientific literature. Please call us at the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. We are open Monday through Friday, 8 to 5, CT. We can give you specific information about the use of Prozac during pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center
    Last edited by cpride; 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I can understand your condition, I took zoloft in one pregnancy and celexa in another. My kids made it through just fine! I don't think you should worry about this at all. So take Antidepressants, Because there is no harm, please trust me.. Antidepressants in pregnancy anymore, I have done it twice and all was well.
      Last edited by Abner45; 12-26-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X