Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anafranil 50mg and Buspirone 10mg and pregnancy

Hello,
    I have been on Anafranil 50mg and buspirone 10mg for 2.5 years successfully treating my OCD. I just found out I am pregnant with my third! While I was pregnant with my second, I went off all medications with devastating results. I am determined to not repeat that. However, I have been reading that the anafranil especially may not be safe for pregnancy-newborn. I was reading about possible withdrawal symptoms of the baby. Would that be counteracted with nursing? I am still nursing my 2.5 yr and and plan to nurse the baby, so wouldn't the dose of anafranil via breastmilk keep the newborn from suffering from withdrawal? Also would it be beneficial to decrease from 50mg to 25mg? Thank you so much for your time!

NappyChappy:

While it is true that some withdrawal has been noted in infants born of mothers consuming Anafranil (Clomipramine), that in itself is not a major problem. One thing you might try is to simply taper the dose to perhaps half or less the last 2-4 weeks of your pregnancy. But don't do this if it causes you to have untoward problems. Its just that you could probably tolerate a slight and slow taper at this time. Then resume normal dose after delivery. But don't do this without first speaking with your physician.

At this time, we don't think Anafranil causes birth defects, but we have minimal data as of yet.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X