Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby has reflux/should I breastfeed even though I'm on ADs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby has reflux/should I breastfeed even though I'm on ADs?

My six month old has reflux-it's getting better as he gets older and hopefully it continues to until it's no longer an issue! I had planned to go to formula now since I work full time. With the reflux I'm afraid that will make things worse and I'm questioning whether I am better off breastfeeding since it's easier for them to digest. I am on a small dose of Prozac. I feel so trapped. I want the best fir my child and I feel helpless.

Jessm, thanks for posting,

Prozac (fluoxetine) is rated L2-safer. The amount transferred into milk is 1.6-14.6% of your dose. Use in older infants (4-6 months or older) is virtually without complications because they can metabolize and excrete the medication more rapidly. While sertraline and escitalopram levels in milk are probably lower, fluoxetine is quite suitable for breastfeeding mothers and their infants. Remember, the risk of untreated depression is far higher than the risks of this medication. Monitor the infant for sedation or irritability, not waking to feed/poor feeding and weight gain.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please call the InfantRisk Center at 806-352-2519. thanks.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X