Lexapro & pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lexapro & pregnancy

I am currently on 10 mg of Lexapro for anxiety. Do I need to wean off of it before getting pregnant? My family doctor stressed being off of it for the last trimester.
    Also, what treatment is there for anxiety during pregnancy? I do very well on the Lexapro & fear getting off, getting pregnant, and then having my anxiety come back. I do not want to put my baby at risk.
    Thank you!

Dear rebma108,

Escitalopram (Lexapro) is an antidepressant belonging to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI?s). Its a category C (probably safe) medication, when used in pregnancy.

In a case report published in 2006, the use of escitalopram in the third trimester of pregnancy did not have any adverse effects on the infant. Other studies have linked the use of SSRI?s with infant respiratory distress and low birth weight. More recently, an association between congenital heart defects and the use of SSRI's was described. This, however, has not been confirmed and more studies need to be done that address this.

Hope this helps!! Call us at the InfantRisk Center on 806-352-2519 for further questions.

Tassneem Abdel Karim, MD
    InfantRisk Center

Comment

Working...
    X