Breastfeeding AND Pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding AND Pregnant

I am currently breastfeeding my 3.5 year old and 1.5 year old, each 2-3 times per day. I am also recently pregnant. I take Zoloft daily, but I don't feel comfortable taking any Category C drugs during pregnancy. Are there any good antidepressants that are Category A/B and are also safe for breastfeeding? Thank you!

Mama:

Believe me, millions upon millions of mothers have used Zoloft(sertraline) during pregnancy. We are quite certain now that there is no real teratology associated with this drug that has been discovered after many years and studies looking at this.

It is by huge numbers, the #1 antidepressant/antianxiety drug used in pregnant moms. We do know than approximately 30% of newborns may go through a brief withdrawal, that wanes quickly.

Most importantly, it is better to control depression/anxiety during pregnancy with this antidepressant or others than to risk the numerous well know complications of untreated depression. In essence, untreated depression is believed to be far worse than the small if any risk associated with Zoloft (or other antidepressants).

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X