Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I wean off of Zoloft during the last month of my pregnancy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I wean off of Zoloft during the last month of my pregnancy ?

I have been taking Zolofot ( 25 mg) before I even got pregnant for PPD. After a phone call I got from my OB yesterday I feel like I'm going to be looked down upon for contuing to take it. So I feel like I can't even go to them to ask questions. About the phone call yesterday. I needed a refill of my zolofot. This wasn't the first time I've had it refilled since being pregnant. I'll be 20 weeks on friday. I get a call from OB asking if i know the risk of taking it etc. It annoys me cause this isn't the first time my OB has refilled this since i was pregnant. Also he kind made me feel gulity for continuing to take it.

So now I'm trying to figure out if I should take it throughout my pregnancy or wean myself off of it during the last month of my pregnancy. I'm not sure what to do.

443ang:

I would strongly suggest you NOT wean off Zoloft at this time, for two reasons. 1) you would be at high risk of a rebound depression before and following delivery, and you would have to go back on it anyway, and 2) Depression during pregnancy or breastfeeding is highly risky for the development of the infant. Current data suggests that if you stop your antidepressant while pregnant, you have a 66% rebound rate of depression. Its not worth the risk of depression to stop this medicine.

In addition, there is nothing worse than depression in a new mom. I strongly urge you to maintain this really small dose, during pregnancy and during breastfeeding. If your OB is negative about this, then I'd suggest you talk with your family physician.

Of the antidepressants, Zoloft transfers into milk minimally.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Working...
    X