150mg Wellbutrin XR during Pregnancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150mg Wellbutrin XR during Pregnancy

Curious about Wellbutrin use during pregnancy. Was recently prescribed as an alternative to my adhd meds, which I discontinued both with my first pregnancy and with this most recent one. However, I really had a hard time during the first pregnancy without the meds and wanted to look into alternative treatment options, which led my doc to suggest Wellbutrin. I haven’t seen many posts related to its use during pregnancy. Any updated information available would be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

lbluth,

Wellbutrin (bupropion) :

"Bupropion is an antidepressant used for treatment of depression and more recently for smoking cessation. Bupropion has not been linked with congenital malformations.[1] Antidepressants including bupropion should be used with caution in those under 25 years of age due to the increased risk of suicidal ideation.[2] A study by Chun-Fai-Chan, found no increased risk of spontaneous abortion with bupropion above what has been observed with other antidepressants.[3] Some antidepressants have been associated with neurobehavioral effects on children who were exposed in utero.[2,4] There were no studies located to evaluate the long-term neurobehavioral effects of bupropion. In summary, bupropion should be used in pregnancy only if the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the fetus."

1.##Einarson A, Choi, J., Einarson, TR., and Koren, G. Incidence of major malformations in infants following antidepressant exposure in pregnancy: results of a large prospective cohort study. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2009;54(4):242-246.
    2.##Kastrup E. Drug Facts and Comparisons 2010: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2010.
    3.##Chun-Fai-Chan B, Koren G, Fayez I, et al. Pregnancy outcome of women exposed to bupropion during pregnancy: a prospective comparative study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Mar 2005;192(3):932-936.
    4.##Briggs G, Freeman, R., and Yaffe, S. . A Reference Guide to Fetal and Neonatal Risk: Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation. Eighth ed: Wolters Kluwer Health, Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 2008.

Sandra Lovato R.N.
    InfantRisk Center
    806-352-2519

Comment

Working...
    X