Side Effects of Norco in 1st Trimester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Effects of Norco in 1st Trimester

I am 7 plus 5 days pregnant with my 5th child, currently have a severe shingles outbreak on my right arm that went misdiagnosed for two weeks as poison oak. The pain is excruciating as it effects my motor nerves and also have paralysis. This is day 15 of the illness. This past Thursday the doctor finally diagnosed it as Shingles and put me on Norco (5mg/325mg) 4- 6 hrs as needed for the pain and also acyclovir 800 mg 5 times daily.

This is day 4 of taking pain meds around the clock, every 5 hours. I am not able to sleep much due to the pain. This pain med only takes the edge off and still leaves me uncomfortable.

I am very concerned that is is going to damage my baby since this is so early on in the pregnancy.

I am also nursing my 10 month old and wish to know if the pain medication is effecting her. She has seemed slightly lethargic lately.

Is this the best pain medication for me?
    Thank you

momof4more:

Norco contains hydrocodone and acetaminophen. It is most appropriate for your pain for shingles, as there is little else that is helpful. While it is certainly possible this might pass into your milk, I really doubt it is actually affecting a 10 month old infant that much. They can handle drugs quite well by this age. You could always stop feeding briefly, or use formula for a day or so, and note any change in your infant. I doubt there will be.

I must tell you that shingles at this stage of your pregnancy is highly dangerous to the fetus. You need to have a frank discussion with your obstetrician about the risks to the neonate.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Analgesic means painkiller medicen which is very effective for the body.For instance some body got sudden the kidney pain this thing show that the doctor will give the anti kidney medicen that is called the painkiller like phologen injection form or any I V for the sudden positive effect for the body.

Comment

One ingredient in this product is acetaminophen. Taking too much acetaminophen may cause serious (possibly fatal) liver disease. Adults should not take more than 4000 milligrams (4 grams) of acetaminophen a day. If you have liver problems, consult your doctor or pharmacist for a safe dosage of this medication. Daily use of alcohol, especially when combined with acetaminophen, may increase your risk for liver damage. Avoid alcohol. Check with your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of liver damage, including: dark urine, persistent nausea/vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain, extreme tiredness, or yellowing eyes/skin.

Comment

Thank you Zeeshan for your post. Just for clarification, the FDA now recommends the upper limit of over-the-counter acetaminophen to be 3000 mg per day to prevent liver damage. For pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, we recommend no more than 3000 mg daily of acetaminophen (Tylenol).

Sincerely,
          Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
          TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

nice post.....

Comment

Working...
            X