Tylenol 3 - almost 30 weeks pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tylenol 3 - almost 30 weeks pregnant

I am 29 weeks + 4 days pregnant. I didn’t find out I was pregnant until close to 15 weeks. I have been on Tylenol 3 for about 2 years (prescribed). I am trying to wean down very slowly (currently taking 2 30 mg tablets per day) was on 4 per day when I found out I was pregnant. If I quit by 34/35 weeks pregnant, will the baby go through withdrawal? Could I just stop suddenly and be ok since the dose is low? Would the baby be ok?

Ra622:

Withdrawal from opiates should always be slow. I'd suggest you taper off by the 9th month. However, this is something that is dependent on your body, and you MUST talk with your obstetrician about this. Withdrawal could potentially induce prematurity is severe enough. Talk with your physician.

Tom Hale Ph.D.

Comment

Okay, my OB seems to think if I can taper off within the next 3 weeks, myself and the baby should have no issues. I just worry because that’s so close to delivery. Do you think a few weeks without opiates is enough to prevent NAS in the baby by the time of delivery?

Comment

Ra622:
        That cutting it close, but will probably be ok.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Sorry, last question: how many weeks do you normally need to be opiate free for the baby to not have withdrawals after birth? I really thought 4-5 weeks would be enough time. Is it considered cutting it close because I’ve been on them so long?

Comment

Ra622:

Who knows how many weeks. Generally we suggest as long as possible, but 10 half lives is probably a good bet. But again, we don't really know.

Tom

Comment

The half life shows 2.9 hours for Tylenol 3. So 29 hours? Sorry if I’m confused.

Comment

Also, could I reasonably wean down from the 2 Tylenol 3’s I am currently taking per day within two weeks? Is that a slow enough taper? That would have me off before 32 weeks which I would hope would be plenty of time to avoid withdrawal in the baby. I’m just not sure what is considered a slow taper, especially during pregnancy.

Comment

Bump.......

Comment

Dr. Hale,

can you explain to me how the half lives work as far as NAS? You previously said I would need to be opiate free for about 10 half lives. What does that mean exactly? Tylenol 3 says it half a half life of 2.9 hours. Sorry to keep pestering, just wanted some clarity.

Comment

Dr. Hale, question: so I did successfully wean off the Tylenol 3 at 35 weeks like I previously mentioned. I did a very, VERY slow taper over a couple of months. I weaned all the way down from 3-4 pills per day to a quarter of a 30 mg pill for over a week. When I completely stopped, I had Zero withdrawal. The taper wasn’t even that uncomfortable either. If it became uncomfortable I slowed the taper a little more. I’ve been through withdrawal before because I would stop cold turkey and I definitely had no withdrawal symptoms this time. Literally none. So my question is, if I were to have the baby in two weeks- around 37 - 38 weeks, would the baby have withdrawal if I didn’t even have withdrawal? I’ve been off 3 days as of today.

Comment

R: Speaking of the fetus. As far as we know, the fetus withdraws at the same rate you do. In a breastfeeding infant, its probably about the same, but would depend on how much if any supplementation with formula you are feeding the infant.

But the longer you withdraw, the better.

Tom Hale Ph.d.

Comment

Okay. Thank you! So since I avoided withdraw by doing a very slow taper, the baby SHOULD have avoided it as well?

Comment

Working...
                          X